Friday, March 29, 2013

Individuality

Something I have come to realize is that we truly are unique individuals. While we are similar, no two people are exactly alike in how they think, what they like or dislike.

Knowing this, it's no surprise to me that people choose to live differently and operate through life differently. But yet it seems like everyone thinks their way is "Best" and that it is what everyone else should choose to do as well.

Well maybe it is best. . . FOR THEM.

What works "best" for someone else simply may not work "best" for me. When I try to force myself into that mold that works so well for someone else- is it really any surprise that it just doesn't work?

I'm speaking pretty generally here as I do believe studying science and psychology can teach us a lot about ourselves and we can use this knowledge to thrive as human beings AND AS INDIVIDUALS.

Yet it seems to be a common theme throughout history and today- humanity seems determined to convince- or force- everyone to conform to one "way of life" (ok, really I mean religion). And then it seems one specific "religion" isn't enough, everyone needs to agree on every single minute point or *gasp* there must be something wrong with them!

It wasn't until I had grown up quite a bit that I saw people (both religious and non) be accepting of those whose beliefs were not identical.

And by "accepting" I don't mean just saying "Well they can believe what they want! They're obviously wrong (not as biblical, or not bible based at all), but I'll still "accept" them!"

But rather, "we have arrived at different conclusions. Mine is right *for me* and theirs is right *for them*. I am not better than them. I am not more enlightened than they are. We just view it differently and neither view is superior to the other, rather it is a mark of our individuality."

I greatly prefer the second example of acceptance. I cannot express enough appreciation for those in my life who portrayed this to me and taught me to celebrate human individuality instead of expecting everyone to fit into a specific box and follow specific rules and believe all the same specific details of minutia.

What a breath of fresh air it is to appreciate our individuality as humans and to really, truly, be OK with it.

What upsets me is when I see harm being done to fellow human beings as a result of certain beliefs/ways of operating through life. Sometimes it is small harm, sometimes it is great harm. While I can respect differences and individuality, I absolutely loath watching people make excuses to harm each other.

And I absolutely do NOT believe the answer to ending (or reducing) harm to fellow human beings is pushing everyone to give up their individuality.

I'll leave my thoughts there for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment