Thursday, May 9, 2013

The things people say

Between cell phones, facebook, my job and living around the general population I get the pleasure of observing, reading, and listening to all the interesting things people will say to each other. 

It's fascinating. 

From a rude text message to a shocking facebook status to a face to face conversation- I find myself intrigued with what people say and why they say it. 

For instance, yesterday I had an interaction with an older man in which he started telling me about a TV show and how "the blacks. . . sure are unruly people."

Then he went on to make the following statement:

"If Lincoln could see how things are today, he would never have freed those slaves."

At first I thought maybe it was some sort of crazy, NOT so funny joke. Then I realized he was DEAD SERIOUS. 

He went on to talk about how prisons contain 90% "black" individuals and some other (incorrect) statistics to prove his point. 

Unfortunately I was not in a position to freak out on this bigoted old man, as much as I wanted to. So I abruptly changed the subject and I think he got the point when my response to his horrific statements was "So, what are you doing today to enjoy the nice weather?"

He mumbled something about his plans for the day and thankfully that lasted until the encounter was over and he was on his way far away from me and my raging pregnancy hormones before I did or said something I would regret. 

I did find myself in quite a bit of shock at his statement- first off that he would say something so awful to a STRANGER in a public place and secondly- he seriously believes that SLAVERY should never have ended!!! What? how? People like this still exist?!!!!

Not only do they still exist, the same type of reasoning is used to defend many other beliefs that humanity should not be considered equal- for one reason or another. 

As crazy as we think that someone would think slavery is acceptable, we still find ourselves surrounded with reasons and excuses to exclude people from equality. 

But I have faith- if you are one of those people, 50 years from now you'll be telling a young person the same things you're saying today and it will be just as shocking and disgusting to 99% of humanity as this mans belief that "blacks should still be slaves". You'll be that bigoted old man- or woman- but the difference will be your cause will have lost support decades ago and no one will be listening anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment